Weedons School opened in 1871. The first school building was well-designed but poorly constructed and a second wooden school was built on the present site to replace it.
In 1966 this was replaced with a tow classroom brick building at a cost of $18,850. This building remains today.
A third classroom was added in 1976.
Due to rapid roll growth, three classrooms, a library, and a multi-purpose room have been added since 1996. This multi-purpose room, named Te Wharenui (Big Meeting House) is used for PE, dance & drama, whanauhui ( assemblies and meetings), and art activities.
This building can be hired out for community groups or family
events of children who attend the school.
Some smaller teaching spaces and a music room have been the most recent additions.
The school has two adventure playgrounds, a large back field, a swimming pool, two court areas, one with a kicking wall, a musical playground and a sandpit.
Our grounds contain a variety of large trees, these along with sunshades provide protection during the summer months.
Our environmental sustainability initiatives have included:
A tunnel house built from plastic bottles
Fruit and berry trees ( funded by local businesses )
Raised vegetable gardens
Our future environmental sustainability plans include further native plantings and the installation of Solar panels.