HISTORY AND COMMUNITY
Weedons School is set in a rural locality, surrounded by farm land. It is situated ten minutes drive from Hornby (the southern most suburb of Christchurch) and five minutes from Rolleston and West Melton.
A Decile 10 school, the catchment area is made up predominantly of farms, life style blocks, and agricultural enterprises.
The School is located centrally in the Selwyn District, having easy access to Christchurch’s beaches to the east and to the Ski Fields in the west.
In the early days, Weeden (as Weedons was originally known) was a very important link in the transport chain as it was halfway between Christchurch and the Selwyn Hotel and the coach horses were changed there.
The accommodation house and stables on the south side of the main road were licensed in July 1859 and owned by James Main who called his inn Half Way House. He sold the inn to William Weeden in March 1861.